Monday, November 7, 2011

Shake, rattle, and shake some more

Earthquake!!!!

That is what I woke up to at 2:15am this past Saturday. Really? In Oklahoma? Yes, we have earthquakes, and pretty frequently at that, but not this kind of earthquake. This kind of earthquake had Brett and I bolting upright in our bed. At first I thought Brett was just being ornery and shaking the bed, then I quickly realized there's no way he would take a chance at waking me up in the middle of the night just to play a prank. I am CRANKY when I get woken up and I'm not ready to be awake. He had to  learn that the hard way :). While my mind frantically tried to wake up and make sense of what was going on, the other part of my brain was desperately trying to figure out if I needed to rush upstairs and get Ian. Before I could clear my head, it was over. Phew. Potential disaster averted. At least for the next 22 hours.

That's right. We had our second earthquake a little before 11pm that Saturday night. We had just settled into bed after watching OSU beat KState when the bed started to shake. Again. This time it was much harder and much longer. While the first was a decent sized earthquake (4.7), this one rang it at 5.6. I was sure this one was going to knock stuff off the wall, but thankfully, we seem to have escaped unscathed.

Then last night came. We did not have any earthquakes, but we did have severe thunderstorms. Thunderstorms that caused me to wake up yelling "earthquake!" every time I heard thunder. I think Brett really appreciated it.

Now we come to tonight. Earthquake!!! Another one hit just before 9pm - this one a measly 4.7. It's my third one in as many days, so, no biggie.

I will admit, the first one was a little unnerving because it was so unexpected and I had never experienced one before. But it was also soooooo COOL. I've always wanted to feel what an earthquake was like, but without all the destruction (like the ones in California). So I have to admit I was a little excited. Then the second one came. That one was definitely a little bit scarier because it was so much stronger, but it was also awesome because I wasn't half asleep so I knew what was going on immediately and I got to experience it completely. Tonight's was...well, blah. Been there, done that, ready to move on.

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment