Thursday, June 16, 2011

We love to read

I try to make it a point to have "reading" time with Ian every afternoon before nap time. We have a plethora of books to choose from, but inevitably, we always read a certain one. Ian's favorite. My favorite when I was little.

The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood

I know the book by heart so I can recite it on demand. Ian loves to hear it, even without the pictures. It goes something like this:
"Hello little mouse. What are you doing?
O I see, are you going to pick that red ripe strawberry?
But little mouse, haven't you heard about the big hungry bear?"

On it goes to describe what the bear will do to find the red ripe strawberry. I won't ruin the book by telling you the ending, but, it might include sharing.

I'm pretty sure I read it no less than 10 times yesterday. Do you think Ian might lean toward the obsessive side, too?

While Ian and I both LOVE this book, my favorite book to read to him is On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman. It is a sweet book that describes how special each child is. It is based on Psalms 139: "For you are fearfully and wonderfully made.."

The book itself starts out with this: "On the night you were born the moon smiled with such wonder that stars peaked in to see you and the night wind whispered 'life will never be the same.' Because there had never been anyone like you...ever in the world."

I hope Ian grows up to realize that there is no one like him in the world and God has a specific purpose that only he can accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment